Subscribe to Indivisible SB activities, news and updates (Please add indivisiblesb @ gmail.com to your safe sender’s list, otherwise notices may end up in your spam/junk folders.)
ACTIONS FOR THE WEEK OF
Monday 3/12/2018 – Friday 3/16/2018
1) H.R. 4682 The Open Internet Preservation Act waters down net neutrality while the bill restores several components, such as a ban on blocking and slowing of websites, and public disclosure requirements mandated by the FCC of internet service providers. Nevertheless, the bill allows certain websites to run at a faster speeds than others, and prevents CA from crafting it’s own net neutrality regulations akin to the Obama-era rules.
Sample Script: I am calling from [zip code] to urge Rep. Carbajal to vote NO on HR 4682. This legislation does not meet the criteria for basic net neutrality protections and will weaken an open internet by allowing for paid prioritization of web traffic. This bill does not go far enough in protecting an open internet and will be devastating to small businesses and startups.
2) The omnibus spending bill must be passed by March 23 to avoid a government shutdown, and may be voted on in the House as early as this week. While the bill needs bipartisan support to pass, there are several poisonous riders attached to it. The riders attack healthcare for women (including Planned Parenthood) and LGBTQ individuals, eighty riders would de-regulate environmental protections and others would erode the separation of church and state while expanding the role of dark money into our elections.
Sample Script: I’m calling from [zip code] to urge Senator Feinstein/Harris / Rep. Carbajal to reject all riders to the omnibus spending bill that would threaten the health and rights of women and LGBTQ people, that would de-regulate environmental protections, and that would increase the flow of dark money into our elections.
War in Yemen
3) Trump has doubled down on the United States’ participation in the Yemen civil war. By backing a Saudi-led coalition with weapons, intelligence, and refueling support, the U.S. is complicit in the massive humanitarian crisis that has resulted, and has entered a tangled web of alliances that is counter to our national security. What’s more, Congress has never authorized this war, even though the Constitution places war authority powers in the legislature’s hands. It’s time for Congress to do its job and rebuke Trump’s over-reaching.
Sample Script: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask Senator Harris to join Senator Feinstein in co-sponsoring a bipartisan War Powers Resolution to force a vote on the Senate floor onS.J.Res. 54 to stop Trump’s illegal and inhumane war in Yemen.
Defend the Vote from Cyber Russian Attacks
4) The State Department has spent none of the $120 million allocated to it since late 2016 to defend against foreign interference in U.S. elections. The department has not hired Russian speakers to join the Global Engagement Center, an operation tasked with countering Russia’s ongoing disinformation campaign. Furthermore, the department’s hiring freeze has prevented it from acquiring the computer experts it needs to track and push back against Russian efforts to sow discord among Americans. According to Tillerson, U.S. officials can’t stop Russian President Vladimir Putin from interfering in the 2018 elections if he chooses to do so.
Sample Script: I’m calling Senator Feinstein/Harris / Representative Carbajal to say that I am outraged that the U.S. State Department has done nothing to protect our elections from foreign interference. I am urging her/him to pressure Secretary of State Tillerson to prepare for potential Russian cyberattacks during the 2018 midterms. Top intelligence officials have repeatedly warned of these potential attacks, the State Department must take these threats seriously to preserve our electoral integrity.
5) The Trump administration announced last week that it is doing away with a decades-old air emissions policy opposed by fossil fuel companies, a move that environmental groups say will result in more pollutants like arsenic, lead, and mercury in our air. This is the most dangerous attack yet on public health and wellbeing taken by the Trump administration. Science has shown that Americans’ increasing health and longevity is directly related to the EPA’s restrictions on air and water pollution.
Sample Script: I’m calling from [zip code] to urge Senator Harris and Feinstein / Representative Carbajal to protest the EPA’s rollback of the “once-in always-in” policy under the Clean Air Act, which dictated how major sources of hazardous air pollutants are regulated. Once again, Trump is favoring the wants of industry over the wellbeing of the American people.
CALL YOUR REPS DAILY!
Senator Dianne Feinstein
Washington, DC: (202) 224-3841
San Francisco: (415) 393-0707
Los Angeles: (310) 914-7300
San Diego: (619) 231-9712
Fresno: (559) 485-7430
FAX: 202 228 3954
Senator Kamala Harris
Washington, DC: (202) 224-3553
Sacramento: (916) 448-2787
Fresno: (559) 497-5109
Los Angeles: (213) 894-5000
San Francisco: (415) 355-9041
San Diego: (619) 239-3884
Congressman Salud Carbajal
Santa Barbara: (805) 730-1710
San Luis Obispo: (805) 546-8348
Washington, DC: (202) 225-3601
Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson
Sacramento: (916) 651-4019
Santa Barbara: (805) 965-0862
Oxnard: (805) 988-1940
Assemblywoman Monique Limon
Sacramento: (916) 319-2037
Santa Barbara: (805) 564-1649
Ventura: (805) 641-3700
Program your representative’s local AND DC phone numbers into your phone. Republicans outnumber Democrats in calling 4-1, and 11-1 on hot button issues. If you are still grappling with how Obama’s administration were not able to get anything done, this is how they did it. We MUST constantly call and continually exert pressure. If you can’t manage daily, pick a day, mark it recurring on your calendar, and call weekly.
- Call your senators about an issue of concern EVERY DAY.
- Always provide your ZIP CODE,
- Call about ONE subject only, per call.
- Call once per day, or multiple times per day with one ask for each call.
- Leave a message if you can’t speak to a person.
- If you can’t get through, try again later.
Failing that, DO send an email, one ask per email. Both Feinstein and Harris’ offices have said they tally emails as well as phone calls.
CALL YOUR SENATORS DAILY (on-going) Senate confirmation hearings are daily for cabinet appointees. Check C-span on TV, or C-Span Live Stream online, for live hearings. Demand appropriate vetting of appointees.
Here is a link to a Political Appointee Tracker for over 600 appointees.
Here is Full Schedule of Cabinet Appointee Hearings and what to look for. (You will have to scroll way down as it is in chronological order)
Here is a guide for how the senate committe hearing process works, and what stage of the process nominees are in.
Please take a moment to fill out this online form after making your calls if you can, to help track your senator’s response.
In the House of Representatives, Congress continues to debate funding and pass bills. It is helpful for our Representatives to hear a large outpouring of support from his constituents. Our Representatives become bolder when they hear from a lot of us.
To see what is happening on the floor throughout each day, bookmark the Office of the Clerk. This site also has a live video stream of floor proceedings, and guides about how the legislative process works. It’s an amazing resource.
Govtrack is a website that makes it easy to track certain legislation, you may sign up for alerts. It also can help you find your representative. Their twitter account @govtrack posts all the legislation as it passes, live. congress.gov is an incredibly useful resource, which has every position on every bill.
Indivisible, MoveOn and Working Families Party are joining in #ResistTrumpTuesdays. Each Tuesday, actions will be taken for the first 100 days of the new administration. These actions normally involve IN-PERSON VISITS to representative’s offices. Please join our facebook group, follow us on twitter, and/or sign up for our newsletter for these events!
GRAB YOUR WALLET
#GrabYourWallet was a movement that began during the election, started by Shannon Coulter. The public cannot know the extent of the Trump family’s conflicts of interest, and it’s up to each consumer to decide if they want to enrich the Trump family by buying their products and supporting businesses that sell Trump family products. A constantly updated list of companies may be found here: https://grabyourwallet.org/. When boycotting, be sure to share your decision on twitter, using the hash tag, #GrabYourWallet. Nordstrom is among the companies recently boycotted. Following pressure from Nordstrom customers who boycotted and wrote impassioned letters to the company, Nordstrom announced they are dropping all Trump family products. Consider writing each company to let them know you will not shop with them as long as they continue to carry Trump product lines.
On Inauguration day, former President Obama’s twitter accounts were archived. If you were following @WhiteHouse @POTUS @FLOTUS @VP or other Obama administration twitter accounts, you are now automatically following the Trump administration. These twitter accounts must be manually un-followed. Please also unfollow @realdonaldtrump. You can still read all these tweets from these sources without following them and bolstering their numbers.
If live you in California’s 24th Congressional District, and you have a personal story about how the ACA has helped you that you are willing to share, Rep. Salud Carbajal would like to hear it. Please go to his website to submit your story: https://carbajal.house.gov/share-your-aca-story